Re: HELP! Need ammo against Oracle on NT!!

From: Richard Markle <rmarkle_at_isi.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:49:27 -0800

     I was asking for pointers to articles to print out and give THEM. I've read the benchmarks that said given identical applications on a terabyte size DB, Oracle/UNIX was able to service roughly 3X as many connections as Oracle/NT, I know that NT doesn't scale well for enterprise, there is the sheer number of layers that NT apps must go through vs. the micro-kernel architecture of UNIX, there is the remote administration problem, and given the fact that Oracle/NT doesn't have a raw partition, it is therefore is once again filtered through NT, thereby placeing more software between you and your data. But these are observations, not printable articles, which is what I think will be most convincing.

    For the record this is for a terabyte, multi-media DB. I don't want butt heads, I just was looking for some pointers to articles. If you don't want to help, please, please, don't respond. I don't need the condescension. Thanks to all those who gave helpful pointers. It is greatly appreciated.

--

Richard Markle
Programmer/Analyst for Distributed Collaborative Enterprises USC Information Sciences Institute