OWS 3.0 producing MGR-11401 errors

From: Brian Elliott <belliot_at_gil.com.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 00:34:26 +1100

All,

I'm attempting to set up Oracle Web Server 3.0 on HP-UX 10.20 with an Oracle 7.3.4.0 RDBMS. The product "installs" without errors and I have also applied a patch for a CPU-hogging bug in OWS. The trouble occurs in the next step of setting up OWS via its http interface, for the OWS Admin tasks launched by the browser do not work as they should.

Using a browser, I have connected to the Admin server via port 8888 and gained access to the password-secured administration pages. But I come unstuck when I submit the "Default Configuration" page, which is supposed to create the www_dba user and install PL/SQL packages into the target database.

When this page is submitted, it switches to a progress report which shows Server Manager errors. Session output (except for blank lines) for the first of several tasks appears thus.

Installing PL/SQL, Browse, Log Server, Log Analyzer packages for User: www_dba...
Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 - Production With the distributed and parallel query options PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> MGR-11401: input error, unable to read input line MGR-01508: unable to close the current file

All package installations result in the same errors on the first line and the whole submission is over in mere seconds. An SQL query on
"DBA_OBJECT_SIZE" shows that no new packages were installed, in fact the
SQL scripts on the unix host weren't even touched by a read operation.

It looks like the stdout/stdin file pipe between the Oracle "boot" process and svrmgr is broken -- assuming of course that the boot process uses a stdio stream to pass "connect" and SQL statements to Server Manager.

Reinstalling OWS has made no difference -- whether from a locally pfs-mounted CDROM, or from a software depot / staging area kept on a host in another city, which one of my colleagues manages and has successfully installed from. Interestingly, though his first implementation works, he has tried to install OWS 3.0 on a second host he manages and has now hit the same roadblock that I have.

If anyone can supply a solution to this problem, I would be very grateful, because all my ideas so far have come to nothing and it is now badly delaying my customer's projects: a stress which their management visit on me regularly!

Thanks,

    Brian.
--
"Strictly UNIX" To dance is to live.
belliot_at_gil.com.au Received on Mon Nov 30 1998 - 07:34:26 CST