Re: About defragmentation

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:52:39 -0600

According to Oracle's web site, Oracle 8i adds several good features:

The feature I am wanting is NOT provided:

An IOT is an Index Organized Table. The full row is stored in the index,
not just the keys. There is no table segment. This is a great architecture
for some tables. Many (most?) look-up tables (single index, a few data
columns) should be converted to IOT's. I think not all tables should become
IOT's.Does anyone have guidelines as to which tables should / should not
be converted to IOT's?

I think that the IOT's will turn out to be fairly stable, without much need of reorg.

I think the tables that are not converted to IOT's will be the large, active OLTP tables. These are the tables that would benefit the most from on-line reorg. I hope to see this in Oracle 8i+.

Thomas Pall wrote:

You have to wait until Oracle 8.1 (Oracle 8i) becomes available.

Anastasios Tsibelekidis (atsi@intranet.gr) wrote:
: Hello,

: How can i perform ONLINE defragmentation.
: (I have 8.0.3 on Sun Solaris.)

: Regards, Anastassios Tsivelekidis,
: INTRACOM S.A., Greece