Re: Maxing CPU

From: Joel R. DeRider <deriderj_at_concentric.net>
Date: 27 Nov 1998 12:40:35 PST

Hi Wayne,

Congratulations, you did what all DBA's dream of, remove all I/O and become CPU bound! Did you know that it takes 6 times the CPU for a buffer get to disk then to memory? Did you know that seek times for disk are measured in millionths of a second, while seek times to memory are measured in billionths of a second.? That is up to a 1000:1 performance gain. Your goal should be to make a memory only database, and perhaps you have come close to succeeding.

Probably a more important question than the use of the CPU's is: Did response times decrease after your changes? If they did, you are running as expected, and your tuning was successful. If they increased, then your tuning was not successful.

Remember that tuning and performance are all relative. If you don't have a baseline to compare against, then making the changes are fun and interesting, but not productive.

As a comparative, I worked on a PeopleSoft Financials that was running on an HPT500 with 4 200Mhz CPU's and 1 gig of memory. After tuning the Oracle instance and the operating system, it was common to use the CPU's at 100%. It did mean that we could get better performance with more CPU's, and that's a good thing (they were on order when I left). This was a 40 gigabyte database. Our tuning improved performance anywhere from 2:1 to 10,000:1.

If you are really interested in what's going on with your database, check out

www.icetcorp.com

We have a demonstration program that you might find enlightening (just follow the penguin!).

Thank you,

Joel R. DeRider

CEO -- Information Consulting Expert Technology, Inc.

IceT Corporation
181 Colleen Avenue
Shoreview, MN 55126-6253
Corporate : (651) 490-0803