Re: Maxing CPU

From: Uday Bikkasani <udayb_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 27 Nov 1998 14:49:26 PST

Wayne,

I think you are not looking at the problem areas and completely concentrating on the CPU's and Memory. My colleagues and I have worked extensively with tuning systems like yours. In most cases the problem was with the optimizer and the code running against the database. Fixing this is very easy if you are willing to add some indexes, hints etc. ( Not a very clean way but that helps a lot )

Here are a list of things I would look at.

  1. Optimizer Mode : Peoplesoft App runs best in RBO and Reports run best in CBO and the solution is to find a middle ground.
  2. Reports : Who coded these reports and did the developers ever tune them. From my experience you should not even max 2 cpu's in a 4 cpu system with 10 users running their processes.

Let me know if you need more help

Uday Bikkasani
Tactics Inc.
ubikkasani_at_tacticsus.com