ORA-01034 When connecting via TCP

From: John <John_at_merck.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:34:20 -0500

I have recently installed Oracle Enterprise Server ver 8.0.4. I can connect to the instance using SQL*Plus on the server by issuing CONNECT user/password. I can execute queries just fine - it appears like the instance is up and running. However, if I connect via SQL*Plus using CONNECT user/password_at_my_net8_alias, I get ORA-01034 Oracle not available. Documentation for the message states that other messages will reveal details of the problem, however there are no other messages. I have setup a Net8 alias in tnsnames.ora appropriately. Review of the alert.log file reveals nothing. I checked MetaLink forums to no avail. Any advice?

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.