Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: Mike Packard <mpackard_at_sempra.com>
Date: 1998/11/20

THIS is EXACTLY why cursors are "bad" -- they allow kludgy programming such as you describe here. There are far better ways of reducing a large set of data to one of more exact interest (no one on this planet needs to scroll through 50,000 records in one sitting, please...).

One last comment, if you give a user 30 records he is not interested in OF COURSE he'll want to scroll some more. The trick is to provide enough search/drill down tools on the front end to narrow the search.

What you described is like "I don't know what the user wants -- and the user doesn't really know what they want -- so let's give them ALL the records so they can scroll through until they find the right one". Give me a break.