Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/11/18

I am not sure why you believe that cursors are "bad". Not sure what is "bad" about them. If I have a GUI that needs to display a long list but the user may not navigate the entire list why would I want to bring over the entire list - generates a lot of network traffic, takes a lot of room up on the client - RAM, generates a lot of disk i/o on the server. With a cursor I can get the first 20 or 30 and if the user wants to see more I can retrieve the next 20 or 30. There are situations where bringing entire results sets over in one fell swoop would be suboptimal and inefficient; not all cases of course.
Jim