Re: Changin user name has somebody ever tried.

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:30:37 GMT

It is generally a bad idea to modify system tables and views manually, since the ramifications are hard to trace...many Oracle internals may be affected by these actions and this could result in an unusable database....

Try, instead, creating a new user and granting it the same rights as the old user, then drop the old user....

In Enterprise manager, there is a Create Like... command that clones one user's attributes to a new user ( except username and password )

I am not sure how this would effect the ownership of tables, etc....Perhaps Tom Kyte is reading this and can further explain,.....

Hope it helps,
John Greco
MnDOT HR Office

Devinder Pal Singh <Devinder_Pal.Singh_at_pharma.novartis.com> wrote:

>Dear All,
>Has somebody ever tried to change a user name?..
>I still donot know the ramifications but I tried changing the username
>in the user$ table and everything seems to be working fine. What I could
>find is that oracle works with user$.user# instead of username, it is
>used for everything like ownership of objects, grants etc.
>I would like to get different views.
>
>Dave

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Thu Nov 19 1998 - 11:30:37 CST