Re: Is anyone running Oracle on Netware?

From: Steven H. Meller <smeller_at_nospam.com>
Date: 1998/11/18

My principal complaint has to do with the absence of virtual memory. As mentioned in my post here yesterday, I ran out of memory (stack space specifically) running a PL/SQL stored procedure that was not very large. Although I had more than enough on the box altogether (288 MB) for a server that is only running Oracle (the application is still in integration testing). Same stuff on NT ran flawlessly in a very small SGA footprint.

I am concerned about long term support. After logging a case with Oracle support, the undocumented system parameter was discovered by myself in a search of the Problems database. Whereas the NT product is in active development and escalating use (translates to "money factory").

Don't make exclusively a decision based on today's dollars (marks, yen, whatever). I agree with you regarding (lack of) stability in NT. But I view that as somewhat temporary based on the amount of interest registered by customers in the form of purchasing power. If you've beta tested software before, you should understand the "safety in numbers" philosophy that this expresses.

HTH,
Steve
meller at 24by7consulting dot com

<3652f31f.23145090_at_nntp.ix.netcom.com>...