Re: Is anyone running Oracle on Netware?

From: <mkx_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: 1998/11/19

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:43:06 -0500, "Steven H. Meller" <smeller_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>My principal complaint has to do with the absence of virtual memory. As
>mentioned in my post here yesterday, I ran out of memory (stack space
>specifically) running a PL/SQL stored procedure that was not very large.
>Although I had more than enough on the box altogether (288 MB) for a server
>that is only running Oracle (the application is still in integration
>testing). Same stuff on NT ran flawlessly in a very small SGA footprint.

I have HIGH hopes for Netware 5, since it now offers virtual memory support. I don't know, however, if it has been implemented in a way that existing applications can utilize it/

>I am concerned about long term support. After logging a case with Oracle
>support, the undocumented system parameter was discovered by myself in a
>search of the Problems database. Whereas the NT product is in active
>development and escalating use (translates to "money factory").

As am I. I find it interesting, and somewhat frustrating, that while NT gives me the most problems by a WIDE margin, it also seems to have the most options and support. I have always had very dependable systems that run Netware, but I have very limited choices when it comes to applications. Received on Thu Nov 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CST