Help - large system table space

From: mikel <not_at_really.me>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:18:42 GMT

Hello all,

I'm setting up a new database NT 8.0.5 to migrate from our 7.2 version. All went well until I accidentally created the system datable by 500 Meg (long story, I'd tell you why but it embarrassing) . For some reason after I created the 500 MB extent, the data file put a high water mark at 580 MB.

I tried to resize and claim unused space but to no avail, just got a message saying there 60000 blocks past the point I want to size it to. I tried to export the system and sys user and then import them, but I can't drop the system table space and the import just gives me errors (maybe I don't know enough about import, export).

When checking the dba_free_space view, the system table has 4 extents, (one big one of course) with a very high block id (around 74000, and the db_block _size is 8K). I tried to coalesce the table space, no difference!!

This db is not in production so I could start over again, but I'd rather not. If there's some way to get my system tablespace down to 50 MB or so, that would be great.

Thanks

If you can, please reply to my e mail address because I do not have use net at work
mikel || remove the || @ || meat part || shec.com

Thanks again

Mikel Received on Wed Nov 18 1998 - 22:18:42 CST