Re: Can someone check my logic here?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:10:20 -0600

Yes, a cold backup and all archived logs and the current log is all you need to recover up-to the-minute. This assumes a 'small' crash -- just some of the database data files.

But what about a full site disaster? And what happens if the disaster occurs just before the archived logs are backed up? If you saved the backups off-site, you would be able to restore the cold backup and recover through the last backed up archived log file. This means you would lose a full day.

Full site disasters are rare. So you must compare the loss of a day's work vs. the cost of more frequent trips off-site to store the backups of the archived logs. Another thought: buy a fireproof vault and keep the days worth of archived logs in there.