Question: SQL outer join

From: Sheldon Wang <sheldon.wang_at_cdott.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:51:04 -0700

Hi,

I have a question about using the Outer join in SQL statement. I know I can use the outer join on a single row in a table. However is it possible to apply the Outer join on multiple rows in one table? The following is my example:

// outer joins with multiple rows (composite key). Is the following ok?
// trans and detail are two tables.

select

a.cont_no,
a.supertype_code,
a.type_code,
a.subtype_code,
a.trans_no,
a.region_code,
b.value

From
trans a,
detail b

where
a.cont_no= 'W8476-1-EN01/01NJ'
and b.period = '01'
and a.cont_no = b.cont_no(+)
and a.supertype_code = b.supertype_code(+) and a.type_code = b.type_code(+)
and a.subtype_code = b.subtype_code(+)
and a.trans_no = b.irb_trans_no(+)
and a.region_code = b.region_code(+)

order by

a.cont_no,
a.region_code,
a.trans_no,
a.supertype_code,
a.type_code,
a.subtype_code

// end of SQL

I would appreciate your advice very much.

Sheldon Received on Tue Nov 17 1998 - 12:51:04 CST