DB writer takes over?

From: Jim Kuschill <kusch_at_frequencymarketing.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:59:30 -0500

We've got a database with of about 15GB, spread moderatly over several drives, on a mid-size Unix box with 2 CPUs. We've allocated 50,000 buffers for the hummer, and are not running with archiving. Everything runs quite well until we try to do some batch work and post a lot of blocks.

Now, we fully expect things to get a little herkey-jerkey, but what happens doesn't seem quite right...

The batch update runs along just fine until it apparently runs out of blocks. The DB writer fires up ... and locks up the database until it's done with its work!

Is this normal? I know there are about a Sagan's-worth of tuning paramters, but any clues which might get our DB writer to play nicer?

kusch_at_frequencymarketing.com Received on Sat Nov 14 1998 - 09:59:30 CST