Re: ORACLE vs INFORMIX vs MS SQL SERVER

From: Rod Stewart <rod.stewart_at_afp.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:52:27 +1000

Didier has it right (in my opinion). For that amount of data you really have to (consider) seperating the image data from the rest. This is pretty much a standard way of storing such a large volume of images, it is used a lot by archiving and imaging type organisations. Probably the biggest issue will be what to store that many large images on. I have seen a couple of things done, such as large optical drive carousels, but they are quite often slow and only allow a single user to access a file at a time. Something I have only played with but you might want to have a look at is a Netapp filer.
You can visit the appropriate web site at http://www.netapp.com. Netapp filers are just about the fastest thing around, scalable, will operate with either NT or UNIX and are the only file server officially endorsed by Oracle. They are being used in a lot of particularly storage intensive industries like music and video production and to serve large web sites etc.

Regards

Rod J. Stewart