Re: Orcale SQl*NET listener hang

From: Donna Gearing <donna.gearing_at_hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:27:25 -0500

You may be having a problem caused by the SQL Trace facility. In Oracle 7.3 all SQLnet activity is logged by default. It doesn't cause problems until the log file gets too large. If too many simultaneous connection attempts are active when the log file is too large the listener process will hang. If this is the problem you can either monitor the size of the log file & just clean it up regularly or you can disable tracing, I have not tried this.

Another possible cause that I encountered was that some clients were connecting with SQL*Net 2.2 to our SQL*Net 2.3, when the client machine froze and they hard-booted, it sometimes hung the listener. In this case just upgrade the clients.

Hope this helps.
Donna
dawu_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <71udk3$ja3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>To all who can help....
>
>We're running the SQL*Net 2.3 listener on our AIX machines. In
>recent weeks, the listener has been "hanging" quite often. Since we have
not
>identified the source of the problem, we have had to kill the OS process
and
>restart the listener.
>
>We have experienced this "hanging" listener problem for too long and have
had
>no resolution from either the network or UNIX groups at Oracle support.
Can