Re: Oracleagent remains a secret

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 8 Nov 98 21:11:54 GMT

This has been a topic of discussion on my favorite listserver, oracledba (send mail to Majordomo_at_MailingList.net with subscribe oracledba your_email_address in the body) lately.

Oracle on NT seems to have a real problem with instalation of Oracle Agent, on 7.3 and 8.

The easiest fix is to delete the files snmp.ro and snmp.rw in your %oracle_home%\network\admin directory and try restarting Oracle Agent. That fixes the problem for many people.

If it does not fix the problem, you may have to place nmi.trace_level = 13 in your snmp_rw file to get maximum Oracle Agent tracing. By carefully going through the last part of the trace, you should be able to find the problem.

Here's the situation. Oracle Agent goes into tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and the NT registry finding out about nodes available to it and other information. Sometimes the Oracle installer places bad information in the registry or other place (or you have a mistake in your tnsnames or listener files). In one case, Oracle installer created a path in the registry c:\Oracle_Home\rdbms73. This was wrong. Oracle_Home is a symbol and for me it was c:\Orant. When I changed this in the registry, Oracle Agent started without a problem.

Oracle Agent creates snmp_ro if it is not found and snmp_rw if it is not found by going though the sources I mentioned.

ifahmad01_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
: We installed Oracle 8 Enterprise on a Windows NT 4.0 server along with Oracle
: Web Application Server and are having a few problems making it work.

: The specific problem is that we can't get the oracleagent80 service to run.
: This is what we see: <from the command prompt> C:\>net start oracleagent80
: The OracleAgent80 service is starting. The OracleAgent80 service could not
: be started

: A system error has occurred.

: System error 9 has occurred.

: The storage control block address is invalid.

: Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this?

: Thanks,
: Iftikhar.

: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own