Re: Showstopper ORA-01467: sort key too long - PLEAAASEEE HEEELP

From: Andrew Protasov <oracle_at_protasov.kiev.ua>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 98 22:56:12 +0200

Hi Satar,

Sometimes things are obvious only for me. Ok, let it be details:

SVRMGR> drop table test;
Statement processed.

SVRMGR> create table test
     2> (x varchar2(4000)
     3> );

Statement processed.
SVRMGR> insert into test values(rpad('1',4000,'1')); 1 row processed.
SVRMGR> select count(*) from test group by x; COUNT(*)

         1
1 row selected.
SVRMGR> select count(*) from test group by x,x; COUNT(*)

ORA-01467: sort key too long
SVRMGR> spool off

Original problem was with too complex group by clause. This is from SQL Reference:

The total number of bytes in all expressions in the GROUP BY clause is limited to the size of a data block minus some overhead. This size is specified by the initialization parameter DB_BLOCK_SIZE.

Is it obvious now, why it is necessary to recreate database with more large block size?

Andrew Protasov