Re: SQL Tuning

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_no-spam.it.camcnty.gov.uk>
Date: 5 Nov 1998 09:32:00 GMT

>Roman Gelfand <rgelfand_at_masmid.com> wrote:
>I am trying to tune an sql statement by manipulating initialization
>parameters, indexes... etc. These SQL statements are vendor supplied and I
>am not at liberty to change them.

Hi,

could you post the explain plan?

What version of Oracle are you running?. Which optimiser?

I think you may be stuck if you are not at liberty to change the SQL. Changing parameters and indexes aren't always sufficient to fix all performance problems.

If you're using the Cost based analyser, you may need to add hints to your query ( does this constitute changing it? ). It may turn out that the view definition needs to be changed in order to speed it up. Does this constitute "changing the SQL?". If you're using the rule based optimiser you'll almost certainly have to tweak the query or the view.

Dave.
--
Remove the no-spam bit from my email address to reply. Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 03:32:00 CST