Re: Help on Migration from Unix to NT

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:35:23 +0100

General move/migration scenario:
- Make sure you have the create tablespace and create rollback segment scripts from your OLD database. If you don't have them you should be able to extract them from an export. You should also be able to find tools to regenerate those scripts on the Internet. Of course you could also make a dump from dba_data_files.
- Make a full database export.
- Create the new database. You should be able to do that using the instance manager. Note (at least this happened in previous versions): the instance manager is expecting the init<sid>.ora to be already present. - If you use the instance manager, catalog.sql and catproc.sql will have already been run. Otherwise, run in svrmgr30 <ORACLE_HOME>\RBDMS80\ADMIN\catalog.sql and catproc.sql and catexp.sql. There may exist a catexp7.sql script for migration purposes. - Create a second rollback segment in the system tablespace. Note: As the create rollback statements are after the create tablespace statements, if you just start importing, the entire import will fail. - Manually pre-create the tablespaces.
- Import the database. Make sure IGNORE=Y, and it won't stumble about tablespaces that already exist.
I would advise importing everything in one run, especially if you have interrelations between schema's. If you import individual users, chances are the create user statement will not be run, as it is with a full import. This should be all, I have used this scenario several times.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA.