Re: Integrity of Oracle7 recovery on NT !

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:17:04 GMT

On 1 Nov 1998 02:52:17 GMT, rniemic_at_aol.com (Rniemic) wrote:

>It seems that the modified datafile (with the emp changes) is the only file
>that is from the post set. I think that Oracle is assuming that you are
>starting the database with the "post" emp datafile (from step 3) and recovering
>all other files (the ones from step 1). It sees no changes in any of the other
>files (from step 1), so all files are at the timing of the emp datafile (step
>3). That's why I think that this worked.

I agree. However, it shouldn't have been able to: the control files and logs were from *before* the datafile. As I understand Oracle SCNs, it should have thrown a wobbler at the datafile. (It *did* throw a wobbler when I repeated the process with a schema change in the post file.)

> I haven't tried this exact recovery (it is a good one), but I would have
>expected Oracle to ask for you to issue the recover database command to match
>all files date & time stamps (since they were different).

That's what I (and a number of colleagues) thought.

The real question is: is this a problem, or is there a logical explanation. (I'd like to try it on a UNIX machine but, where I'm currently working, I don't have access to one.)

Thanks for the reply. Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 14:17:04 CST