Oracle Performance problems

From: orsano <orsano_at_inf.uniroma3.it>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 19:43:53 +0000

Hi,
We are experimenting severe performance problems (the client is very unhappy about it ) apparently due to the number of connections. As soon as we reach about 300 simuoltaneous connections (that is about 50 users) the performance drops down
The workload is not heavly transactional (long transactions)

We are working on the following platform:

Client
Power Builder 5.0
Microsoft ODBC 2.73
SQL*Net 2.3

Network
WAN Server
SQL*Net 2.3
Oracle 7.3.3
AIX 4.1.2. The DB size is about 130 MB

The tuning parameters we set are:
SGA = 800 MB (2 GB Available)
All of the table are cached (ALTER TABLE CACHE) 16 blocks of 4 KB for each read/write I/O operation (each AIX block is 4KB)
Number of DBWR process = 4
Number of dispatcher = 40
Number of concurrent dispatcher running=40 Number of server processes : MIN=16, MAX=128 No disk striping

When a performace problem occurs the server seems OK: I/O ok
CPU idle 80%
Cache hits about 99%

Alessandro Orsano
e-mail: alessandro.orsano_at_ac.com