Re: Ramifications of Consistent Export

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 08:24:13 GMT

On 30 Oct 1998 17:00:58 GMT, Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_no-spam.it.camcnty.gov.uk> wrote:
>Margaret Peacock <peacockm_at_nt.com> wrote:
>>I need to do a full, consistent backup of a large database once a week
>> (daily backups are done as well). I am confused as to which method of
>> weekly, cosistent backup I should use. Should I Do a CONSISTENT EXPORT?
>> Or should I bring the database down and do a backup on the file system
>> level? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.
>
>Hi,

Besides what Dave said, I must add there is value in redundancy. I have saved many peoples behinds by doing a full export as often as physically possible, and in some cases doing an additional flat ascii "export" - in addition to file system dumps.

The exports are good for recovering from "whoops" type user errors (where "user" may include programmers), the dumps for quickly recovering from major system or sysadmin foulups.

If there is some business value in being able to recover to a time granularity finer than you can do a full restore to (ie, management considers it unpolitic to lose a full days work), then you must implement hot backups as well.

>it depends on why you are doing the backups. export/import is not really
>a backup technique. It allows you to unload your database into a portable

Well, yes it is a backup technique, but that is just semantics.

jg
--
These opinions are my own.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com Available for Oracle DBA work. Received on Sun Nov 01 1998 - 02:24:13 CST