Re: Ramifications of Consistent Export

From: <Clive>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 17:03:11 GMT

On 27 Oct 1998 22:59:05 GMT, peacockm_at_nt.com (Margaret Peacock) wrote:

>I need to do a full, consistent backup of a large database once a week (daily backups are done as well). I am confused as to which method of weekly, cosistent backup I should use. Should I Do a CONSISTENT EXPORT? Or should I bring the database down and do a backup on the file system level? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.
>
>-Margaret Peacock
>--
>Margaret Peacock
>Intranet Web Maven/ORACLE DBA
>Nortel - Mission Park peacockm_at_nt.com
Though exports are not a particularly convenient way to recover your database, they are a good way of checking for database block corruption (providing you capture the output). Backing up datafiles of the database with OpSys commands won't necessarily detect blocks that are corrupt from Oracle's perspective. DBA's will often perform exports for this reason. So it's a good idea to do both an export on a regular basis, in conjunction with your regular backups (hot or cold).

Regards,

Clive.
--
Clive Bostock Received on Sun Nov 01 1998 - 11:03:11 CST