Re: Oracle Server NT vs. Unix

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:48:00 -0600

I have installed Oracle 7.3 and 8.0.4 and 8.0.5 on NT, no problem at all.

I have also installed Oracle 7.3.2, 7.3.4.1, 8.0.4.1, 8.05 on UNIX (both AIX and Sun) no problem at all.

Yeah, UNIX is command line oriented....I like it because I can telnet from anywhere and get things done in a bind. With UNIX, I do not have to be bound by my desktop tools (although I use them also)

I don't know much about Solaris (intel) version. Is that a level 2 release of Oracle (always behind major platforms such as NT/Sun/AIX)?

If hardware costs are a factor, you may look at Oracle on Linux, all the stability of UNIX and the cost of Intel !! I prefer Oracle 8.x, even if you don't use Object/partitioning features.

Have fun