Re: Installing Oracle8

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:05:28 +0200

Larry Morley wrote in message <3637D41A.2C0D31EA_at_albany.net>...

< snipped>

>Problem #1:
>When I reach the database creation phase of the installation
>process, or try to create a database via the database creation
>agent, it always generates
>
> ORA-12203: TNS Unable to connect to destination.

This should not happen as you do not need to use SQL*Net for creating a database. 1st step is to run oradim to create a service for your database. 2nd step is to use server manager to create the database. No SQL*Net involved AFAIK. During what part of the creation process do you get this error?

>Problem #2
>In the process of trying to install & create databases, I ended
>up generating six services: OracleServiceINIT, OracleServiceORC0,
>OracleServiceORC1, OracleStartINIT, OracleStartORC0, and
>OracleStartORC1.

Hmm.... There's then definately something wrong with the way you're going about to create an Oracle instance IMHO. I think you've got a problem with the commanline parameters for oradim and that's why you get INIT (which probably refers to the initSID.ora file) as an instance name.

Try the following commands (assuming that the SID of the database is called DEV):
rem Deleting any existing DEV service
oradim80 -DELETE -SID dev -INTPWD sa

rem Creating DEV database service
oradim80 -NEW -SID dev -INTPWD sa -STARTMODE auto -PFILE c:\orant\database\initDEV.ora

This will create the service you need to run server manager to create the database. However, before you run server manager, you need to set the ORACLE_SID to DEV. You can do this in a DOS window. Click START and the RUN, and type CMD to launch a DOS window. In the DOS window type SET ORACLE_SID=DEV and then run SVRMGR23 or whatever the server manager program is called. To set the ORACLE_SID to DEV permanenently, right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, select properties and on the popup window that appears, click the User Profile/Environment tab. You can specify system and user environment variables there.

>Even after uninstalling everything, they're still
>in my services list. The database creation agent indicated it was
>unable to create the databases, so what are they, and how do I get rid
>of them?

You'll have to delete the entries from the registry. Extracted from the Win32 API manual "The registry has a list of load ordering groups located at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \ServiceGroupOrder." Delete the service entries under that key in the registry and they should be gone from the Control Panel's Services.

>Problem #3
>After uninstalling everything using the Installer, I was left with
>about 200Mb of files that I had to manually delete, the Installer
>itself, a bunch of registry entries, and the services I mentioned in
>#1. Is this normal?

Not sure. The installer will hoewer not de-install databases and datafiles that were created. It will (should) only remove all Oracle executables, libraries and documentation.

>Problem #4
>When trying to start the enterprise manager, I was prompted for
>a user name and password.

This should be the default Oracle dba userid I would think. The dba user is called sys and the default password is change_on_install

If you have still have hassles, I have a couple of NT scripts I can e-mail you that shows you how to create an Oracle database. But the Oracle NT Server manual is pretty straight forward on how to create a database.

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Oct 29 1998 - 02:05:28 CST