Installing Oracle8

From: Larry Morley <lmorley_at_albany.net>
Date: 1998/10/28

Hi, all -

I've been trying with no success for about 3 days now to install Oracle8 Enterprise Edition for NT (v 8.0.4). The machine I'm trying to install to is running NT Server 4.0 (w/SP3), is a Pentium w/ 64Mb RAM, appx 4Gb free disk space. It lives on a network with several other machines of various hardware & software configurations that carries several different protocols. The machine itself is multi-homed (2 IP addresses). It's using Novell's Intranetware client, not Microsoft's (I've seen this cause a problem with one other piece of software); unfortunately, that's not something that can be easily removed or disabled for testing. I would try it on another machine, but this is the only one I can spare at the moment.

I really have absolutely no idea of what's going wrong - I've been through both the documentation and the installation process several times, now, and always end up with the same problem. I'm really hoping that there's something obvious that's either wrong with my configuration, or with what I'm doing.

Here's what's happening:

Problem #1:

When I reach the database creation phase of the installation process, or try to create a database via the database creation agent, it always generates

   ORA-12203: TNS Unable to connect to destination.

I checked the online help, found a description of the error, and attempted to verify that "the ADDRESS parameters in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct", that "... all Interchanges needed ... are up and running", and that "... the Listener is running at the remote node". TNSNAMES.ORA did exist, and had an entry for ADDRESS. I don't know whether or not it was correct, as I don't know what it was supposed to be. Several services were running (settings, control panel, services) and listener appeared to be one of them - it seemed to be listening on port 80, though, and not the ports listed in TNSNAMES.ORA. Some of the services were set to "manual", and some to "auto".

Problem #2

In the process of trying to install & create databases, I ended up generating six services: OracleServiceINIT, OracleServiceORC0, OracleServiceORC1, OracleStartINIT, OracleStartORC0, and OracleStartORC1. Even after uninstalling everything, they're still in my services list. The database creation agent indicated it was unable to create the databases, so what are they, and how do I get rid of them?

Problem #3

After uninstalling everything using the Installer, I was left with about 200Mb of files that I had to manually delete, the Installer itself, a bunch of registry entries, and the services I mentioned in #1. Is this normal?

Problem #4

When trying to start the enterprise manager, I was prompted for a user name and password. I looked through the documentation, and tried everything I could think of, but to no avail. I wasn't asked at any point to supply a password or create a default user. The documentation indicated that the default internal password was "ORACLE", and that the default name for the database was "orc1". Is that supposed to be a one, or a lower-case "L"? (it appeared both ways in the documentation)

At this point, I'd be thrilled to just get the basic components installed, and be able to create, connect to, and work with even a very simple database. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on here?

Thanks very much,
Larry Morley Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST