Re: DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT

From: Kevin Loney <Kevin.Loney_at_astramerck.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:46:56 -0500

Mark G. Woodruff wrote in message <714uin$nnq$1_at_comet2.magicnet.net>...
>>Your block size is low; for a production application you should be at 4K.
>>Instant 40% performance improvement - after you do the full rebuild that
requires.

>A newbiew question: how would I do such a full rebuild? Do I just run
>orainst again and tell it to create the database objects again?

For an existing database:
1. Export the full database, being sure to get all rows, constraints, indexes, and grants.
2. Verify that the export works by doing a test export into a different database.
3. If the data is critical, do a file system backup of the database while the database is down.
4. Delete the database files - all data files, control files, redo logs. If you're squeamish about this and have the disk space to spare, then move them to different locations instead of deleting them. 5. Re-run your CREATE DATABASE scripts. The Oracle installer creates these (depending on the db version). For Oracle8, check in /app/oracle/admin/<instancename>/scripts 6. Once the database has been created, use the Export file from step 1 to Import the full database. Depending on the size of the database, this may take awhile.

hth.
Kevin.
http://www.kevinloney.com Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 07:46:56 CST