Re: Need info on Unix over NT for Oracle 8

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 05:03:50 GMT

In article <70pbkj$pvk$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be wrote:
>In article <70nga9$ugh$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> kgrigg_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> Hello all, Well, it looks like we have a chance to try to convince the powers
>> to be that we need to use a Unix platform for our Oracle 8 databases instead
>> of NT. If you could point me to some documentation, stats, etc. I'd
>> certainly appreciate it. If you have some personal experience and opinions
>> between the two platforms, please send that to me too. I need to
>compile
>> this info to present our case. Our databases (2 boxes, 2 databases) will each
>> hold at a minimum 50 gigs...I see this growing quickly too!
>>
>> Also, is there a preference on Unix boxes? (Sun, Digital...etc.) Is there a
>> preference on what flavor of unix to use?

I've worked with Oracle (v7 & v6) on AIX, HPUX, SCO, Solaris, and a few others. My preference is Sun. Oracle & Sun are very close so the Solaris release is often "better" than the others. The shop I'm in now uses Sun servers for everything (over 60 of them - up to 6500's, with some PDB/OPS clusters).

-OraSaurus Received on Sun Oct 25 1998 - 23:03:50 CST