Re: ORACLE_SID and Windows NT

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 02:32:57 GMT

Hi:

You specify the sid to connect to like so:

Oracle7.x: connect userid/password_at_2:sid (uses a "bequeath" connection, essentially IPC)
Oracle8.x: connect userid/password_at_sid.world . Set up an IPC descriptor in the listener.ora file for this sid, and a matching alias in the local tnsnames.ora file. IPC means "inter-process communication", so this only works locally. It asks the NET8 listener for a connection, but since's IPC is local only, it attaches directly to the instance process.

Good luck,
--

David C. Sisk
http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/ORACLEonNT.htm