Re: Licensing

From: Bill Despeaux <wjd_at_erols.com>
Date: 22 Oct 1998 02:39:20 GMT

I think your second consultant had it right. They will soak you for as much as they can. The $1,900 figure is probably the per seat charge which would put you around 40K total.

My personal experience was with one client with a large site license who wanted to open up part of one database to about 30 external clients. Oracle argued that each client could have hundreds or thousands of employees so there was potential for hundreds of thousands of users. This was rediculous as we were expecting only 30-60 hits per MONTH! but the client was intimidated and bought a server license for a 2 cpu box at a cost of about $200K. As it turns out, since they are not using Oracle's web server product, this all may have been covered under their existing contract.

Will Oracle refund their money? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!