Re: Pctfree and Pctused tuning

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:42:16 GMT

Hi, First off, your English is fine...don't apoligize for it in the future. As long as you try, no one can hold it against you.

There is no direct way of tuning PCTFREE/PCTUSED that I know of. You can determine if you have problems if you have block contention or free list contention. Even then, you can repair the problem without changing PCTFREE and PCTUSED.Your main aim in tuning space management is to make sure that rows are stored in blocks as economically as possible. This may mean changing PCTFREE and PCTUSED if blocks have wasted space. PCTFREE/PCTUSED are used to regulate free space within a block. Set PCTFREE to zero for static reference tables. For updated tables, use the following formula: PCTFREE = 100 * a/(a+b) where a is the average amount added by updates, in bytes where b is the average initial row length

If you need scripts to determine if you have Free List contention or block contention, then let me know.

Good Luck to you...
Satar Naghshineh

PS I stole most of the above statements from "ORACLE7 Server: Performance Tuning, Volume One - Student guide"

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions