ora-12203 and ora-12154

From: A J Hirst <ahirst_at_abigail.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:17:01 +0100

personal oracle 7.3.3 running on Windows NT 4

I've installed it ok and networking appears to be working ok but.....

I've used SQL*Net Easy Configuration to create a Database Alias on the server that oracle sits on with a view to testing sql*net prior to using my network
I've called the alias PO7
when I try to connect to PO7 under sql*plus 3.3 I give it the name/password and enter PO7 in the host string field but I get error ora-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name Funny but if I enter PO7.world (an entry in tnsnames.ora) I get no error messages and get a sqlplus prompt but the first line that's printed to screen states
Connect to:
then info about release of oracle, etc
should there be an entry after Connect to:?

I've been through the usual 'problem tracing' steps as suggested in the 'html' documentation, relative to this error number but to no avail

I also tested the tcp-loopback alias and got message

ora-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination

I'm using a hosts file on the server. DNS is not configured. What's this about a oracle name server? Do I need any other name servers on this 2 node network?

Any help you guys/gals can give would be much appreciated. Thanks. Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 16:17:01 CDT