Re: Internal Password Jam

From: Jan Madsen <jam_at_ammulti.dk>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:48:08 +0200

Yes!

You create a new passwd file with orapwd80. Then replace the old file with the new file.

Running orapwd
The orapwd utility exists in $ORACLE_HOME/bin and is run by the oracle software owner. Invoke orapwd by entering:

$ orapwd file=fname password=password entries=max_users

This syntax is described in Table 3-8:

Table 3-8 Syntax for Executing orapwd
fname
 is the name of the file where password information is written. The name of the file must be orapwsid, and you must supply the full pathname. Its contents are encrypted and not user-readable. This parameter is mandatory.

password
 is the initial password you selected for INTERNAL and SYS. You can change this password after you create the database using an ALTER USER statement. This parameter is mandatory.

max_users
 is the maximum number of users allowed to connect to the database as SYSDBA or SYSOPER. This parameter is mandatory only if you want this password file to be EXCLUSIVE.

Attention:

You must create a new password file if you ever need to increase the maximum number of users. Therefore, set max_users to a higher number than you expect to require.

More information: Oracle8 Server Administrator's Guide.

Best regards

Jan Madsen
AM MultiMedia - Denmark
mailto:jam_at_ammulti.dk
http://jan.ammulti.dk

matthew_at_mattshouse.com wrote in message <70544r$178$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Recently, our DBA moved on to another company. I'm filling in for the time
>being. I need our Internal Password, which left with the DBA. I noticed
>that there is a PWDORC1.ORA file in the $HOME/DATABASE directory. I've
heard
>snippits in this newsgroup about using orapwd80 to change the password.
So,