How to: Find value for SQL*PLUS host string

From: Don <dondealy_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:33:01 GMT

I'm trying to connect to Oracle 8.0.4 on a SUN server. I've tried all the values listed in the TNSNAMES.ORA file, but none of them work.

On a wild hunch, I used the alias of the SUN server, as found in the /etc/hosts table on the UNIX server.

It worked!!

Why? What is going on? I'd prefer to have the "host connect string" be the value found in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. How do I make this change?

Thx

email: dondealy_at_teleport.com Received on Sat Oct 10 1998 - 13:33:01 CDT