Re: How to: Find value for SQL*PLUS host string

From: Harm <napel_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:56:14 +0200

Don wrote in message <361fa78d.528575890_at_news.involved.com>...
>I'm trying to connect to Oracle 8.0.4 on a SUN server. I've tried all
>the values listed in the TNSNAMES.ORA file, but none of them work.
>
>On a wild hunch, I used the alias of the SUN server, as found in the
>/etc/hosts table on the UNIX server.
>
>It worked!!
>
>Why? What is going on? I'd prefer to have the "host connect string"
>be the value found in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. How do I make this
>change?
>
>Thx
>
>email: dondealy_at_teleport.com

Apparently the connection was resolved using a feature of Oracle that is called 'native naming' that allows DNS to be used to connect to oracle, a few restrictions apply such as having a database name the same as the computername and having a listener on a default port (I think 1521), knowing this you might quess what a tnsnames.ora entry might be, you can devise your own connect string if you like.

Greetings,

Harm ten Napel Received on Sun Oct 11 1998 - 06:56:14 CDT