Re: Full Ex/Im-port to New Instance, NT

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 20:31:20 GMT

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:22:52 +0100, "Yassir Khogaly" <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Obviously none of you had any database with OS auth Users having locally
>stored objects,,,

Can you explain what rational background leeds you to belive that exp/imp technique would behave diferently when OS authentication users are concerned? I can't see any reason (and I'm sure there isn't any) why OS auth users would force you to precreate users, roles, synonyms etc before doing an import, as you sugested. OS auth users behave exactly the same as ordinary users when their db objects and db privileges are concerned. There isn't any difference at all. I've done this full_exp/full_imp stuff back on Oracle6 with all the users (except for SYS and SYSTEM) defined as OPS$ users and haven't experienced any problem.

Once again, try it yourself and you'll see you've lived with the wrong impression how full export/import behave. And if there will be anything missing in your new database after your full import, explain it accurately so we all can find the reason for it.

Regards,
--
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 15:31:20 CDT