Re: Reducing System Tablespace Size

From: sooz <sooz_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 22:11:16 -0700

satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/u01/oradata/y2k/system01.dbf' RESIZE 100M;
>
> Really, you shouldn't need to change the size of this tablespace because
> Oracle should be the only person/thing to use it. Make sure there are no
> sorts, data, or user activity taking place on that tablespace.
>
> Satar Naghshineh
>
> In article <OpQ0iFX89GA.346_at_nih2naac.prod2.compuserve.com>,
> "Essam Elsherif" <eelsherif_at_wtgi.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to reduce the size of the system tablespace on ORACLE 8.0
> > without recreating the database?
> >
> > Essam
> >

> --
> Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
> Advanced Enterprise Solutions
> (949) 756-0588
> Oracle Re-Seller

What do mean Oracle is the only person/thing ... shouldn't the SYS and SYSTEM users use the default tablespace of SYSTEM??

Does this 'resize' work in version 7.1.6 too?

I recently took over a database that had been administered by users and practically all the applications objects (unknowingly) were created in the SYSTEM tablespace. Apparently they just kept adding data files as needed. I think there are four files defining SYSTEM now. I've since moved all the segments into other tablespaces and now would like to resize SYSTEM to something more reasonable for its purpose.

Thanks.
- sooz Received on Thu Oct 08 1998 - 00:11:16 CDT