Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway Tuning

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 00:46:04 GMT

Hello:

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about this performance problem. The distributed SQL processing on DB2/400 V3R1 - V3R2 is inherently slow.

If there are lots of queries happening, you can increase the number of pre-start jobs in the OTG subsystem. You can also backup, delete, and recreate the subsystem description class to pre-start the listener jobs with a higher priority.

One additional possibility is to modify the SQL*Net parameters SDU and MDU to send larger block sizes. You would need to do this in ORA/SQLNET member used by the OTG listener, and on the Oracle instance's tnsnames.ora. (I don't remember the exact syntax for modifying these parameters, but Oracle Supports SQL group should be able to help you with this one.)

Hope this helps a little. If you get any good results, please email me and let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Dave

vdelrosario_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <6vdflg$d2$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Does anyone know of any books, white papers, or web pages, basically any
>resources that would aid in the tuning of the Oracle Transparent Gateway
for
>DB/2 for AS/400. Queries such as simple select statements take much too
long
>to execute. I am basically interested in both Oracle and AS/400 side
tuning
>tips that may aleviate the slow down. We have determined that the slow
down
>is not due to network traffic. By themselves, Queries on the AS/400 and
>Oracle side are fine. Once the Gateway is thrown into the mix.... well
SLOW!
> I am surprised that there is not many resources other than opening up a
TAR