Personal Oracle trashes the database

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 5 Oct 1998 22:34:40 GMT

I have Personal Oracle 8.0.3 running on a Windows 95 machine. My init file has the following lines in it:

# Uncommenting the line below will cause automatic

	archiving if archiving has

# been enabled using ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG.
# log_archive_start = true
# log_archive_dest = %ORACLE_HOME%\database\archive
# log_archive_format = "%%ORACLE_SID%%T%TS%S.ARC"

Today I uncommented the lines and attempted to start the instance. That attempt failed, so I recommented the lines and attempted again to start the instance. All I got was the following error:

        ORA-1078 Can not startup Oracle8 instance

Well duh! Why is Personal Oracle so d--n touchy about such a minor change to the init file. It appears that I'm going to have to delete the database, and reinstall it from scratch. I've had this sort of thing happen before, and it kind of ticks me off. Attempting to start archiving should _not_ cause the database to be trashed. Is there something that I am doing wrong here? Is there anything I can do to start my instance? That error message is not specific enough to provide any leads that I can follow.

Jonathan Received on Mon Oct 05 1998 - 17:34:40 CDT