Q:Naming Standards

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 10:58:59 -0700

I need to come up with some naming standards at my new company. Right now, we have common db servers that are shared by many schemas. We have alias' that are totally meaningless and help the user, but not the dba's. My last shop we were able to get alot of information from the connect string (alias or instance name): host, instance, prod or test. processing type (tp, or dss) and maybe schema. I have the task of coming up with standards that will be meaningful to us from an organizational standpoint as well as troubleshooting (where do I start). I understand there are a lot of variables, but I would be interested in hearing how others are naming: hostname, oracle sid, oracle alias...

They are leaning toward shared servers (RS/6000 S70 Silver nodes (2 gig memory, 8 cpus)) for hardware with numerous instances as well as numerous schemas per instance - like a mainframe. I came from 1 instance per machine (for production anyway) and minimal schemas (all were related), so this is more difficult than I thought.

Any/All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Received on Sun Oct 04 1998 - 12:58:59 CDT