Understanding the output from SHOW SGA

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 4 Oct 1998 04:28:21 GMT

I'm trying to thoroughly understand the output from the SHOW SGA command. Here is what I get:

	SQL> SHOW SGA
	Total System Global Area       5508612 bytes
	Fixed Size                       45584 bytes
	Variable Size                  4529140 bytes
	Database Buffers                409600 bytes
	Redo Buffers                    524288 bytes

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the fixed vs variable size. Does "variable size" only applied to the shared pool portion of the SGA? Are the sizes of the database buffers and the redo buffers constant? Assuming that not all the variable size has been allocated, how do I tell what the _current_ size is?

Jonathan Received on Sat Oct 03 1998 - 23:28:21 CDT