Re: different type of image files Oracle can stored

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:02:57 GMT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:06:07 GMT, hpcheong_at_ncs.com.sg wrote:

>hi,
>
>i like to know what are the different type of image files Oracle can stored
>cos' i need to stored photos/images in the Oracle table.
>
>So far I know that it will take bmp files.
>any others?

I'll assume that you're talking about just storage of images and not images that can be manipulated via the Image Cartridge. Oracle can store *any* binary file. Is a BMP a binary file? Yes. Is a JPEG a binary file? Yes. You can store *any* type of image in an Oracle database.

>secondly, what it the difference when we define in the Oracle table with the
>datatype on the field we want to stored the images using RAW and LONG RAW?

Look in the Oracle8 SQL Reference and the Oracle8 Reference for the exhaustive description of these datatypes. In short, RAW can store 2000 bytes, LONG RAW can store 2 GB. You can only define one LONG RAW per table.

Without question, you should look at storing images in LOB's in Oracle8. They are much more efficient (storage and access wise), and you can store 4 GB of data in each LOB column. The number of LOB columns per table is limited only by the maximum number of columns per table (i.e., 1000)

>thanks in advance!!
>

>rgds
>evelyn.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 08:02:57 CDT