Re: ORACLE8 Server for NT

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:31:23 GMT

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:11:57 -0700, Tom Miller <tommill_at_trc.unlv.edu> wrote:

>Hello,
> Could anyone suggest a way of importing dbase files into Oracle8
>database. Also, how to go about using Net8 Assistant so that this data
>can be accessed on the internet.

Two suggestions:

  1. Write some small dBASE program or use some utility to get the data out of dBASE into a tab-delimited file. You could then use Oracle's SQL*Loader to blast this into an Oracle database.
  2. Use some intermediate product (like Oracle Developer, MS Access, PowerBuilder) which would let you establish a middle connection between your dBASE "database" and your Oracle database. Then, via some INSERT INTO...SELECT FROM statements, you could easily move your data.

>Thanks for the info,
>Brian Sequeira
>sequeir_at_pioneer.nevada.edu

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Sep 23 1998 - 20:31:23 CDT