Re: Unexplained extras in DBMS_PIPE

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 21:01:08 GMT

A copy of this was sent to jboes_at_qtm.net (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:22:00 GMT, you wrote:

>Has anyone else ever seen strange behavior with DBMS_PIPE? I'm using Oracle
>7.2.2.3.0 on AIX 4.1. My pipe listener is a Pro*C program which reads the
>pipe, unpacks each field using NEXT_ITEM_TYPE and UNPACK_MESSAGE. I have a
>trigger (AFTER INSERT) which calls a procedure that writes one message to the
>pipe (I have confirmed this through debugging--there is no second message).
>After my Pro*C code processes the first message correctly, it loops thinking
>there is another message, and dies with -1405 (fetched column value is NULL).
>Oddly enough, it would appear that it does two successful UNPACK_MESSAGE
>calls before it dies.

Nope, I've done alot with pipes on all versions of Oracle (including on AIX). Can we peek at your code (pro*c code) and the pl/sql it is using to interface to pipes with? Perhaps the error is in that...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Sep 18 1998 - 16:01:08 CDT