Re: Help about oracle RAW partition

From: Joe Brown <NoSpamMeVeryMuch_at_leading.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:23:03 GMT

Ever fdisk a drive into multiple partitions?

When you format a partition (with a file system e.g. NTFS or FAT), it's cooked (no longer raw).

In the Unix world, partitions are more fun to play with and you don't get screwy driveletters for seperate partitions.

With Unix you can format with a file system, use it as a swap partition, or with Oracle and an assorted other RDBMS's you can use an unformated partition to store the database.

By doing this, the filesystem layer of the OS is skipped and handeled by the RDBMS.

Since datafiles for an RDBMS -- extents, etc. are much like a filesystem, this removes some redundancy data storage management.

Oracle suggests IO intensive applications perform better on RAW partitions. I think 100s or 1000s of TPS is where this comes into effect.

caolla_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Sorry for this lack of knowledge but could you tell me what's an Oracle RAW
> partition ?
> A software for NT & Oracle specify that it is not supported if Oracle is
> installed on a RAW partition. What does it mean ? My NT is running with NTFS.
> Thanks a lot in advance.

joebrown
@leading.net Received on Fri Sep 18 1998 - 15:23:03 CDT