Re: Does following codes work in your JDBC driver and/or database server?

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: 1998/09/11

Hi Ruiming. Congratulations. You've found a bug in Informix's new driver and shown that WebLogic's is better!

First, to solve your problem: Did you try this?

     db.getTables(con.getCatalog(), "database_owner", "%", null);

If you do not put the current catalog in the first argument, the WebLogic driver for Informix will not be able to satisfy the call, and will tell you so. This is because the driver works in the context of a single database, and we don't want to mislead you into thinking you've gotten all the information you wanted about any other databases/catalogs.

    I tried Informix's own JDBC driver with your call, and found that it actually demonstrates a bug in their driver, because their driver also only acts in the context of a single database, but it is simply ignoring the first argument to your call, and the answer you get is only about tables in your current database.

Please try this with Informix's driver:

    db.getTables("garbage", "database_owner", "%", null); or

    db.getTables("some_other_database", "database_owner", "%", null);

In either case you will get only information about tables in the current database. Therefore, if your Informix instance has more than one database owned by a user, or if you ask about another database the Informix driver will silently tell you only about tables in the current database.

Joe Weinstein at WebLogic, Inc.