Connection Timeouts Question

From: Peter J. Thompson <pthompson_at_taratec.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:10:24 GMT

I have a Win95 C++ fat client using RogueWave DBTools to connect to (a unix) oracle 7.3 server. For various reasons, this app maintains up to three connections to the database. Depending on user activity etc, connection #2 and connection #3 may get little use. It would appear that these connections are subject to time-out. Questions...

  1. Can anyone confirm that the above scenario is likely to happen or is something else going on here?
  2. Are items specified in LISTENER.ORA (timeouts) causing this?
  3. Can somebody point me at some documentation specific to all the different items in LISTENER.ORA -- My 7.3 doc talks about 'TIMEOUT' which seems to apply to 'server hang-around-after-disconnect-time' as opposed to 'disconnect-after-idle-time'. An actual file I looked at has (undocumented?) items:

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10 <-- units ?

TIA _Pete_                                Received on Thu Sep 10 1998 - 14:10:24 CDT