Re: alter index rebuild on Oracle

From: <goin_awry_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 18:02:10 GMT

  Another twist to this is... While rebuilding the index (in another tablespace for this example)... is the original index available and used for queries? It will take me some 12+ hours to rebuild a particular index. I have no problem with not letting people insert into the database (this is tightly controlled), but it would be very useful to let users query the database. However, if the index is not available/useable... these queries will return data some time in the next millenium. Thus my concern, is the index being rebuilt available through the entire process? Thanks for the help.